Getting to know Belize
Belize is a small country between Mexico and Guatemala with 7 different regions. From ancient Maya cities, rainforests filled with 500 species of birds to the 2nd largest barrier reef named by Jacques Costeau as one of the best in the world, you’ll be amazing that it has something for everyone.
Families or couples can zip line, snorkel in the warm waters swimming with stingrays in Ambergris Cayes or Caye Caulker, enjoy riding a tube through the caves or relax on the warm beach. The Blue Hole offers some of the best diving to see spectacular aquatic life. Gladden Spit is the place to be for diving with whale sharks as they congregate during the spring months to feed on eggs of spawning fish.
English is widely spoken however you may come across a mix of Creole or Spanish.
More about Belize
- Language- The official language is English, but you will also here Belizean Creole.
- Airports- Philip S.W. Goldson International Airport (PGIA) with smaller airports centrally located.
- Currency- Belizean Dollar (BZD) or most places accept USD ($2 BZD = $1 USD)
- Electricity- same as North America with 110 volts
- Airport departure tax $39.25 USD
Tours & Activities
- Horseback riding
- Deep sea fishing
- Zip line & Cave tours
When to visit
High season in Belize is from November to May. Within the months of July-August is what’s called a mini-dry season.
Climate- coastal breezes help keep you cool with a consistent humidity of 85%.
Average temperatures range from day time highs of 84 degrees & lows barely below 60 degrees.
Best time to go is during dry season February-May.
Wet season from June to December with June & July with the most rainfall.
Belize does receive tropical storms with a hurricane season but not likely to receive direct hits.
Why visit Belize
- Glovers Reef Atoll (protected marine reserve designated as UNESCO site)
- Blue Hole (underwater sinkhole for scuba divers)
- Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mayflower Bocawina National Park
- Gladden Spit & Silk Cayes marine Reserve
- Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave
- Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary